PGH attended the Methodist Ladies’ College in Barkers Rd, Kew from 1922 (when she was nine) until term 3 in 1926. It was a school that aimed to “encircle its students with an atmosphere absolutely pure, and into which, as far as human vigilance can ensure it, no evil influence enters” (History of Hawthorn, 79). In the grounds were a science lab, a business school, a model kitchen, swimming baths and tennis courts. A new domestic science building, named Nicholas House, was opened on 30 July 1926 (left) by Mrs George Nicholas (née Ruby Campbell), the mother of PGH’s friend Nola Menuhin.
Images: Methodist Ladies College, 1930, SLV; Methodist Ladies’ College Heritage Citation, 2018; “Opening of Nicholas House at Methodist Ladies’ College”, Table Talk, 5 August 1926, 29.